GPS location is at: 46°9'23.46" North, 119°17'31.96" West
I had made a bit of a write up about the project, as early on I had thought we would need to submit one with the final images. I went ahead and threw it on here. Read on at your own peril.
For my triptych, I decided to pick something I can relate to
personally. Over the years I have accumulated several boxes worth of random
parts and components from building computers and doing computer repairs. In my
case, these computer parts sit in a closet where they gather dust, as the parts
are anywhere from four to ten years old. Since improvements in computing
technology occur in leaps and bounds, these parts quickly fall into
obsolescence within just a few years. In the past, I had simply thrown out parts
as I deemed them unnecessary, a practice that many typical Americans follow.
The
problem with this (aside from the cost, both monetarily and in environmental
damage of being thrown into a landfill) is that there is a better solution
which can have a tremendous impact on the lives of the less fortunate on the
other side of the world. There are several organizations around the globe that
run services dedicated to recycling aging computers and electronic devices by sending
them to poor developing countries for use in education. By doing this, they
keep perfectly functioning electronics in the hands of people that can use
them, instead of being dumped into a landfill or worse. Children in these
countries are then able to learn about these technologies and interact with
them in a way they hadn’t been able to before, which will be incredible tools
to further their education and perhaps provide a way for them to improve their
standing in their life.
For my
images, I took a photo I found of a landfill in the United States with several
thrown computer monitors, desktop computers, and other e waste. I then took a
statistic I had found on the subject and put that on top of the image of the
landfill with a translucent American flag in the background of the text. The
second image consisted of a photo of a group of kids studying in Bangladesh.
This photo shows the children sitting on the ground reading from their
textbooks. Whether or not it is intentional, the children all seem to not have
shoes, which could be an indicator of the poverty in which they live. Underneath
the image, I placed a couple of e waste logos with a background of light green
behind them.
For my found item, I ended up
going with the idea you suggested of breaking up some of the components, and
sticking them in a container. This gives it an artistic element to the object,
as I am both taking an object and then changing it into something that looks
aesthetically appealing in a way.
I left
my geocache under some sagebrush a little distance away from a road behind
Badge Canyon. This location ties in nicely with the overall theme that I am
going for. By breaking up the computer components and leaving them out in the
desert, I am making a comparison to what would end up happening if the parts
were thrown into the garbage instead. If thrown away, the parts would have been
broken up and left in a landfill.
Finished Geocache
(before dropping off)

No comments:
Post a Comment