Friday, September 5, 2014

First entry during chapter 1 reading

Making progress over the first chapter regarding images, and feel as though I am learning bits that I never thought about or even realized were there I was a bit fascinated when reading about Roland Barthes' ideas about photographic images and the whole idea of the "myth" of the truth that they convey or are expected to convey. Very interesting to think that the photographer's bias helps shape how the photo is taken, the lighting or setting, overall mood, etc. and can be used to influence how an audience will view and understand it. The possibility that the physical camera itself can have a bias of it's own, with regard to the settings and how it captures the image, were things that had never been brought to my attention when looking at a photo or taking a picture myself. Fun stuff indeed!

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff here, Josh. Looking forward to reading future posts.

    ReplyDelete